Tuesday 23 June 2020

An introduction to making wooden fishing lures

A fishing lure imitates the prey to a predatory fish e.g. small fish, small mammals etc.. Lures are made of various materials like wood, plastic, rubber and metal, but I am going to show you how to make them out of wood.

Tools for lure making


Basic tools

Slimmed down to the very basics, all you really need is: a knife, a saw, a pencil, a drill and a ruler. But if you want to make more professional lures, things will be more expensive and harder to get. 

Personally I do not have very specifically niche equipment. I have only three other things that I did not say: a band saw, a Dremmel rotary tool, and a Shinto rasp/wood file.


Band saw


Materials for lures

Wood - you will need a reasonably soft type, like pine or balsa. I use cedar and pine.

Glue - you need two bottles of superglue: one with a brush and the other with a dripper.

Baking soda - for making filler by mixing with superglue.

Wire - for twisting into lure eyes.

Split rings - to join hook to lure eye.

Treble hooks, in a variety of sizes to give you the best hook up ratio on your lure.

Lexan polycarbonate - for if you are making a diving lure.

Split shot - for keeping your lure stable in the water.

Sandpaper - to smooth your lures to achieve a good surface before painting.

Split shot and superglue

Painting lures

There are three main ways to paint lures: brush, spray can and airbrush. I use a mixture of spray can and brush (I don't have an airbrush). I also use acrylic paint pens (all paints need to be acrylic). You also need a clear coat or clear nail varnish to make your lure fully waterproof.



In this post I have explained what a lure is, and what you need in order to make one. In the next post in this series, I will show you how to actually make a fishing lure. 

Some of my home made lures






No comments:

Post a Comment

The Fire

Friday 19th June 2020 View from our garden I was picking tomatoes with my friends Kai and Daisy in the vegetable garden when we sm...